Wednesday 21 June 2017

Getting up close and personal with Smish Gararo




 Today we are getting to know the energetic Mandla Mlisane whom I know from Emalahleni FM, trust me I truly am the fan of his hard work.
1. First things first. Who is Smish Gararo? Where did you grow up? How was it like growing up there? Where and what did you study?
Smish Gararo Real name Mandla Ntondo Mlisane, born in Burgersfort Mpumalanga, Grew up in Witbank, Old Coronation. Growing up in Coronation was not easy. Mom only had money for food, I had to start hustling at the age of 16 getting piece jobs as a garden worker during school holidays so I could her help out.completed my Matric in 2011.                            
I dropped out at the University of Johannesburg due to finances restrictions; I then went to Nkangala FET College and Studied Boiler Making for a year though I failed two Subjects.

2. What motivates you to do what you do music? 
I see music as my life, and the day-to-day life of the people around me motivate me to make music. What I have been through in life motivated me to write music that I do thus. I have to relate to everyone who will be listening to my songs coming from a different background compared to mine, and also relate to the ones on the corners begging for food and the ones crying for sneakers from their rich Parents.

3. What are you passionate about? And what are your goals in your job and personally? 
I am passionate about changing the lives of young people. Music is not my passion but is my life, I believe that young people should take over the world, taken serious and be helped to accomplish the ideas they are trying to put into reality. If I could start preaching about mine and make a success out of it, it means everyone can do it. We just have to keep our heads up and never give up no matter how many times we fall.

4. Tell me about the people who deeply influence you in life?
When I grew up, my brother never played any other music genre but Hip Hop music, he inspired me to be the machine that I am today without teaching me anything and. I am now one of the best rappers alive in Witbank because of what he wished I could be one day. No matter how many Rappers or Singers I would bring to our house, my mom would never complain because she knew how much passion I had for my craft.

5. What challenges have you faced in your life and how have they changed you? 
I've been through a lot when growing up; My Dad left when I was only 2-years old. I never had all the things I wished for as child. I have seen people being killed, heart breaks and struggles in the community and disappointments. Food was the only thing my Mom's little cash could offer.
High School was tough for me, I remember when my school shoes had holes and some homie from my kasi whom I've never seen in years gave me his old pair of school shoes. At some point, my instincts assured me that I would end up selling drugs in Coronation as every one of my age ended up doing it for a living. 
But with the grace of God, He made me realize how strong I was by letting me go through all the bad things that were happening in my life. The Struggles made me stronger.

6. Tell me about your big achievement in life.
Launching my 1st album titled “Mission 92” that dropped on 16 June… I invested so much creativity, lyrical content, and the performances will blow you away. This is biggest thing I have ever done in life but I believe bigger things are about to happen.

7. What was your first job? Did you enjoy it? 
Lol my 1st Job...I was a general worker at Black Hill back in 2008, we were modifying sewerage. My duty was to offload a truck full of bricks, you might think it was easy but throwing bricks from the truck to the drain hole for the whole day for R50 a day, was a real hustle.

8. Tell me about the memorable moments you have, that maybe bring you smile, laughter, drama, regrets etc
When I got a "B" on my Matric final year results that was a highlight. I will never forget the day I killed the auditions in 2012 at Emalahleni FM when I got a proper job; finishing my mom's house that was left under construction for 12 years will always be engraved to my heart and when my better half, Maps confirmed that I was going to be a father for the second time, these are the moments I am proud of.

9. When you think about your future, what does it look like?
In 10-years time I'll be giving back to the community, give a better life to the people in need, creating more jobs and minimizing the unemployment rate in the city of Witbank and trust me it will happen. I want to see myself as a special human being that came to complete a mission which started in 1992 16 February. My future will only be the way I want it to be. I will have put in more work so that it will shine.

10. What lessons can you give to a young person embarking on the same journey as you?
The journey is not easy and you can't rely on people, you should do “YOU” and be on your own being. Investing in your craft will take a lot of your time and sometime it will mean not spending time with family and friends.
The achievements of your life will be determined by the level of work you putting in. You plant more seeds, you rip more. I am all about the people who work hard and if you do, you will succeed big time.

Quick Facts
1. Who do you follow on twitter?
Hustlers like Cassper Nyovest and DJ Fresh among others
2. What is that one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
Lol it’s kinda a secret, I don’t think that my mom would be pleased to hear about but It’s about going GREEN and being GREEN
3. What item in your closet do you wear the most?
My wrist watch
4. What is the best advice you have been given?
 “Data bundles in your phone will get you were you want, you just have to know how to use them.” 
5. What quote do you live by?
The level of work you putting in, will determine your success and time wasted is never re-gained.

1 comment: